Tuesday, October 5, 2010

On Overheard Conversations

Sometimes I sympathize with people who are content to stay home and have no desire to expose themselves to the eccentricities of the outside world.  During my trip this weekend from Haiti to Trinidad, I overheard:

In the airplane:
Flight attendant: Good morning, sir.  How are you?
Missionary passenger: I'm blessed!  I'm blessed!


In airport security:
Security person 1 (Staring at her screen): Can he bring in candles?
Security person 2: Candles are allowed as long as they are not lit.


On the radio from the Trinidad airport:
A spokesperson for the Xxxx Islamic community says he supports the return of public hangings because the death penalty is in the Koran and is the will of Allah.  He says that there can be no argument against the death penalty and those against it need to understand that it is holy and the will of Allah.


On the other hand, travelling can sometimes be quite good for the ego.  The world is clearly full of people who are at least stupider than I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment