Saturday, November 12, 2011

On Getting Sloppy


I am updating my resume. 

This is always a chore and something I kick myself for not doing periodically.  Each time I am left having to think back on what has been remotely noteworthy in the past 12 months of work. 

It’s a bit depressing.

But hey, my system at least means that resume updates are correlated with upcoming change, which can be exciting.  Even when I had to leave Papua New Guinea prematurely, the chagrin of leaving was tempered by the excitement of unknown possibilities lying beyond those resume updates and job applications.

I look at resumes all the time – reviewing them for friends, when recruiting at work – so it was a bit of a shock to start working on mine this morning and come up short.  What goes in a resume?  My responsibilities?  Or what I’ve accomplished (cringe)?  How does this work, again?

My resume was first created centuries ago and has been updated and tweaked over the years but never really overhauled.  I looked at it with new eyes and realized it represented all the things I stand against in health communication:
·         it’s chock-a-block with jargon,
·         it’s wordy,
·         it’s tidy but doesn’t draw the eye to key areas, and
·         there are no hooks to keep the reader interested in reading on. 

How did I get to the point where the document that is supposed to reflect my career is so out of line with the principals of my work?  Yuck.  Makes me wonder what other parts of my life I’ve gotten sloppy with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment