Sunday, April 8, 2012

On Kites and Kiting

My friend, Kevin, needed to buy 25 kites for the kids at the orphanage where he volunteers.  He figured that as a brown person, I would be able to negotiate for a better price from the street vendors than he would.  I tactfully did not mention that aside from being white, he does not speak any languages that the street vendors might know and despite his military appearance, is a big softie, liable to pay the first price demanded, without hesitation.  I agreed to help him.

Kite buying on Rue Panamerican
We drove to the corner with the chicken wire fence where the vendors display their kites.  I told Kevin to stay put in the car and jumped out to start negotiations.  I usually don't like negotiating, but it's different when it's someone else's money I'm playing with.  And I usually don't hang out on the street corners of Port-au-Prince, surrounded by guys on the street, but it's different when there's a conspicuous security-type sitting in the car behind me.

I had fun!  I negotiated with the kite guy, got some commentary from an old man with a smattering of teeth, then negotiated with the string man.  I'm sure I was royally ripped off, but Kevin got his kites and these guys had a good weekend sale.

The only thing I can tell you is that the red pipes are horns.
The next day, new boss (Martin), Kevin, and I drove up through the southern mountains to get out of the city and breathe some piney air. I love the twisty drive up there.  We got out at treehouse-like bar/lounge place owned by an acquaintance.  A RaRa band showed up out of nowhere for what I can only imagine is pre-Easter-voodoo thing.

After a while, we took a stroll along a ridge to have a look around.  Life up in these mountains is agricultural.  The produce is wonderful, but the land is not the easiest to cultivate.

See the person in the red shirt?  We walked down there to check out the view and found some boys flying kites.



Kevin, and the kid in charge of the kite.

No comments:

Post a Comment