Sunday, April 8, 2012

On Teabagisms and England

My friend from Haiti, Katharine, went to graduate school in London and would often speak longingly about the pubs and ales of her glory days. Before she left Haiti last June, we decided a trip to England to conduct some beer research (beersearch?) was prudent.  With a considerable amount of arm-twisting (uhm, not at all), my friend, girl-Alex, decided to join the research team. Aaaand, before we knew it, we had a team of research assistants to help us out: Gillian (Scottish, recently of Haiti, headed to Rwanda), Vanessa (Italian, recently of Haiti, relocated to London), Desiree (Canadian cousin, now of London, fellow foodie), and Sam & Ivan (English cousins, game for anything).

The week consisted of the following:
1. Wandering around Soho and Covent Gardens
2. Random acts of champagne
3. Good, good, food
4. Ales
5. A weekend trip to Haworth in West Yorkshire to drink more beer

The weather was sunny and our pace was set on "ambling".  In describing the trip to friends in Haiti, I was a bit horrified to hear myself sound like a herbal tea bag: "spent time with people I like, doing things we like to do, and not knowing when I would see them again made it all the more fun."  But, hey - it's true.
The cousins.



Beer garden in Haworth and Timothy Taylor's Landlord, first beer I tried to replicate.

Bronte sisters's awkward moors.

No comments:

Post a Comment