When you hear Carnival + queens + condom gown fashion shows, what do you think of?
A drag show, right? Lots of lovely lads dressed in over-the-top gowns in bedazzled platform heels.
We have many condoms that have expired in our warehouse that we need to do something with. So during a meeting yesterday, we discussed using them for promotional art, namely fashion shows in which the dresses are made from condoms. For Carnival! So I'm thinking drag queens in condom dresses paraded through the streets on the platforms of trucks...nice!
Today I sat down with my colleagues, Emmanuela and Nathalya, out how we're going to do this. We talked about putting out a bid to designers, seeing if the design school is open, what the creative brief would look like...then we talked about finding queens in February (Carnival) to fit the dresses we commission. How do we know what sizes to commission? Some of the queens, Emmanuela said, are like me! Emmanuela has the proportions of a supermodel. Like you? I say, picturing delicate, fey queens of the SE Asian fame.
I ask more questions about size until it finally came to light that in our discussions of "queens", I was thinking drag queens and they were referring to elegant, queenly women. I was trying to hard to stifle my laughter that I started crying. Emmanuela and Nathalya looked concerned. What's so funny?
I didn't bother pointing out that half of the condom dresses we were looking at online were probably being modeled by drag queens or transsexuals.

Colleagues I showed this dress to we amazed at the level of creativity!
ReplyDeleteFrom what Jhonny says Haiti is not very open minded about that kind of stuff.....
ReplyDelete