Friday, January 7, 2011

On Being Home

I'm back in Haiti!  I made it through the figurative birth canal of the immigration/baggage claim hangar and was happy to pop out into the warm sunshine into a (gasp!) waiting vehicle.

Some of my camp neighbors have moved!  There are open spaces on the square they used to inhabit where I saw boys kicking a football.  I have never seen any open space in Port-au-Prince before .  I wonder where they were relocated to.  Living on the square between the police station and the electoral commission office must not have been fun during the elections.

Speaking of which, the official results of the first round of elections might be announced today!  Or on Tuesday.  Or by the end of the month.  February, tops.  In commemoration, I heard several loud bangs at 4:50 this morning.  When I ventured a peek through the window, I saw a flaming barricade blocking the main road behind my house.  It was pretty impressive.  Eventually, the police arrived and wandered around.  While they figured out what to do, I closed all my windows to keep out the billowing black smoke.  I was curious about what they were going to do about the barricade, but they took too long figuring it out so I went back to bed and eventually heard the sounds of morning traffic making its way down the road.

Happy Friday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment