This weekend, I went away to the beach with my friends, Maite and Marcie. It takes some time to get out of the dusty, gray, city through twisting back roads to avoid traffic. It's a good way to get a look at the city.
Once at the beach, we didn't talk about work and exerted ourselves only to take our beers from the shore into the water.
This is a camp outside the city with transitional shelters made of plastic sheeting and wooden beams. Every time I've passed it, it's gotten bigger. It is now home to 40,000 - 60,000 people.
Once at the beach, we didn't talk about work and exerted ourselves only to take our beers from the shore into the water.
This is a camp outside the city with transitional shelters made of plastic sheeting and wooden beams. Every time I've passed it, it's gotten bigger. It is now home to 40,000 - 60,000 people.
The juxtaposition is almost enough to make me wretch. That said, for your mental health, I am glad you have access to a lovely beach. For Haitian mental health, they could use a beer and some crystal clear waters too, eh? How about that intervention? Haitian beach day?
ReplyDelete