Mouthfeel! It gets so little attention in our food talk, but it's so lovely when you get it right and kind of a downer when you don't. It's the onomotopoea of food! Good mouthfeel is what makes eating memorable for me:
Foamy yeastiness of an unfiltered heffewiezen = good
Pasty, stiff risotto = bad
The soft chewiness of the inside of a croissant = good
Mealy apples = bad
really good, mineraly water = good
I just made a grilled ham and cheese sandwich on wheat bread. The mouthfeel was overwhelmingly lovely! I would have taken a picture, but I couldn't stop eating it. The texture of the toasted bread and the consistency of the ham complimented each other so well that couldn't tell where one began and the other ended. I interspaced the cheese so that the filling was more or less homogenous. One advantage of sliced bread toasted sandwiches over real bread is that you don't get sharp or hard crust edges attacking the top of your mouth, don't you think? There's also something to be said for a minimalist toasted sandwich: tomatoes, onions, or avocado add flavour but make the sandwich messy and hard to eat without bits and pieces squirting out.
So that's what I have to say about that.
No comments:
Post a Comment