I have a big day today: the new regional director in in town and we have a donor meeting where we'll be pitching several ideas that will no doubt make the reps of the US government a little uncomfortable. I have a hard time turning my brain off the night before big meetings and so tend to sleep lightly and dream vividly. Last night this was compounded by stomach cramps and....my shaking bed?
It shook and kept on shaking ever so subtly.
You know that scene from Jurassic Park where they hear this deeeeep BOOM. BOOM. BOOM. of the T-Rex and stare all at the ripples in the glass of water? I felt like I was in the middle of that glass of water. I've lived in a couple of earthquake-prone zones (why? why??) and always felt a thrill of connecting to something elemental any time I felt a shudder from the earth. This time, it felt different. I felt bad for the kids in the camp next door for whom there is probably no thrill in this experience.
There was another shudder later in the night but it's hard to say whether that one was real or a product of my restless mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment